What does the Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian way of life look like through your lens? Show us in a snapshot during this year’s #SealaskaWayOfLife photo contest!
Sealaska is dedicated to doing our part to improve ocean health and protect our way of life. Over the past six years, we’ve advanced our twin goals of economic prosperity and environmental protection by investing in a range of businesses that support healthy oceans, including low-impact foods, geotechnical engineering, marine construction and remediation and more. Along the way, we’ve been steadily growing our capacity to improve the lives of shareholders in the areas of education, workforce development, economic vitality, language revitalization and philanthropy.
Guided by our belief in a better future, one in which our people, our way of life and the planet thrive, the approach we’ve chosen is one that can make a difference in the world. We owe that to the next generation. And we owe it to their grandchildren.
Last year, hundreds of #SealaskaWayOfLife participants submitted more than 600 photos, capturing everything from stunning landscapes, your favorite subsistence foods, impressive beadwork and carving skills, joyful moments shared with loved ones after months spent social distancing, children dancing, or posing with a boast-worthy catch after a day spent fishing.
This year, we’ve created more opportunities for shareholders to get involved, because we want to continue to tell the #Sealaska story from your perspective. The 2021 photo contest includes special categories to build upon and celebrate Sealaska’s recent rebrand, and to amplify the voices and experiences of shareholders living outside of the region.
Here’s everything you need to know about the 2021 #SealaskaWayOfLife photo contest:
HOW TO ENTER:
1). Snap a photo that captures what #SealaskaWayOfLife means to you, or that falls into one of the two special categories included in this year’s photo contest.
2). Post it to Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter with the hashtag #SealaskaWayOfLife and tag us (‘Sealaska’ on Facebook, @sealaskacorp on Instagram and @sealaska on Twitter). For special category entries, hashtag #SealaskaWayOfLife and #WeStandForBalance or #SEAlaskaAndBeyond. Please make sure that your photo settings on social media are set to public to ensure we are able to view your submission.
There are no limits on the number of submissions permitted for each participant, but each entry must be a unique, original photo. Please do not repost the same photo as multiple entries; in the case of duplicate photos, only one submission will be entered.
WHAT TO SUBMIT:
To meet the eligibility requirements, please submit only original, unedited photography (submissions must be the photographer’s own photo and should not be altered in any way). High-resolutions images of at least 2MB in size are preferred.
This year, #SealaskaWayOfLife photo contest includes two special categories, drawn from current initiatives and shareholders experiences of particular interest:
- #WeStandForBalance: At Sealaska, balance is our essence—at the very heart of who we are, both as people and a company. What does balance mean to you? Inspired by Sealaska’s recent rebrand, the ‘Behind Our Brand’ category invites participants to explore and capture what balance looks like for our Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian people and in their own everyday lives. Participants in this category are encouraged to include a short caption to describe their personal meaning of balance as it is captured by the photo submitted.
- #SEAlaskaAndBeyond: More than half of Sealaska shareholders are now living outside of the region and state. What does our way of life look like across the map? Influenced by the voices and experiences of shareholders far and wide, the ‘Beyond SE(Alaska)’ category invites participants living outside of Southeast Alaska, in the Lower 48 or overseas to explore and capture what the Tlingit, Haida and Tsimshian way of life looks like for them. Participants in this category are encouraged to include a short caption to describe their journey, experience and connection to culture outside of their ancestral homelands.
Participants are invited to enter this year’s special categories, but are not required to focus on any specific subject matter or theme in order to enter the #SealaskaWayOfLife photo contest and be eligible to win prizes in the audience choice category. Special category photo submissions must meet category-specific guidelines, in addition to contest rules and regulations, to be eligible to win prizes in the ‘Behind the Brand’ or ‘Beyond SE(Alaska)’ categories.
The photo contest begins Monday August 9 , 2021 at 12:00 p.m. AKDT, and will run on a weekly submissions cycle ending on Wednesday , September 1 , 2021 at 11:59 p.m. AKDT. The deadline for photo submissions will be every Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. AKDT and winners will be announced (on our social channels) on the Friday following each entry deadline.
- Monday , August 9 : Photo contest begins
- Wednesday , August 11: First entry deadline
- Friday, August 13: First round of winners announced
- Wednesday , August 18: Second entry deadline
- Friday, August 20: Second round of winners announced
- Wednesday , August 25: Third entry deadline
- Friday, August 27: Third round of winners announced
- Wednesday , September 1 : Fourth entry deadline
- Friday, September 3: Fourth round of winners announced
- Monday, September 6: Audience ‘voting’ for grand prize begins
- Week of September 13: Special category and grand prize winners announced via a live virtual event!
- Eight (8) audience choice winners, two (2) per week, will receive a $50 Barnacle Foods gift card and a $50 Sealaska Heritage Store gift card.
- One (1) grand prize winner will receive $300 cash, a $100 Barnacle Foods gift card and a $100 Sealaska Heritage Store gift card.
- Special categories: two (2) ‘Behind Our Brand’ winners will receive $100 cash and a $50 Sealaska Heritage Store gift card; two (2) ‘Beyond SE(Alaska)’ winners will receive $100 cash and a $50 Barnacle Foods gift card.
- Two Judges Choice winners will receive $100 Sealaska Heritage Institute gift cards each.
- Eight (8) audience choice winners, two (2) per week, are to be determined by which photo submissions receive the highest social engagement (likes, comments, shares, ‘retweets,’ etc). Each week, there will be one (1) audience choice winner for entries via Facebook and one (1) audience choice winner for entries via Instagram or Twitter. Photo contest participants are only eligible to win the weekly audience choice prize one time. Participants are encouraged to ask their families, friends and networks to engage with their submissions.
- Winning audience choice submissions will be reposted to Sealaska’s social platforms the week after the fourth round of winners are announced, starting on Monday, September 6, 2021. The one (1) grand prize winner will be determined by which of the eight (8) winning submissions in the audience choice category yield the highest engagement on Sealaska’s social platforms. The grand prize winner will be announced during the week of September 13, 2020.
- Two (2) ‘Behind Our Brand’ winners and Two (2) ‘Beyond SE(Alaska)’ winners will be selected by a team of Sealaska staff and leadership based on creativity, uniqueness, storytelling, and alignment with the respective special category. The special category winners will be announced during the week of September 13, 2020.
ADDITIONAL RULES AND REGULATIONS:
- Participants must be 18+ to enter.
- Photos must be original and photographers must release universal and unlimited usage rights of the photo to Sealaska Corporation. Final photos must be at least 2MB in size. Photographers must also submit high-resolution images to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, September 17, 2021 at 5 p.m. AKDT.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY:
No purchase necessary. No automated entries. Enter as many unique photos as you like throughout the contest. This contest is open only to legal U.S. residents who are 18 years of age or older, possess a valid ID proving age (winners must sign affidavit of age eligibility before receiving prizes), and personal email address attached to a valid Facebook or Instagram account. To receive the prize(s), the potential winner must reside in one of the fifty (50) United States. The winner may make no substitution or transfer of the prize(s). The prize(s) may not be redeemed for cash or anything else of value. Noncompliance with any of the Official Rules and Regulations will result in disqualification. Sealaska is not responsible for any typographical error in the printing of the offer, administration of the contest or in the announcement of the prizes. Sealaska shall have full right and power to copy, publish, broadcast, display, distribute, use, edit, translate, alter, combine with other material, reuse, and adapt any or all portions of the Entry in any way and for any purpose whatsoever, at any time, now or in the future, in any media now known or hereafter devised throughout the world in any manner. Entry cannot defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about Sealaska or other people, products or companies, or communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill to which Sealaska wishes to associate. Entry cannot (a) be sexually explicit or suggestive, violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional, or age group, profane or pornographic, reference nudity or any materially dangerous activity; (b) promote illegal use of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, firearms, weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing), any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous or any particular political agenda or message; (c) be obscene or offensive, or endorse any form of hate or hate group.
Each entrant warrants and represents that the Entry: (a) is your original work, (b) has not been previously published; (c) has not received previous awards; and (d) does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity, or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity. Any Entry that, in the sole opinion of Sealaska, is not in accordance with the guidelines as stated herein, or on any of Sealaska’s social media assets or websites, or is deemed to be inappropriate for publication is ineligible. Incomplete, illegible, deceptive or garbled Entries are not eligible. Any such entrant will indemnify and hold harmless Sealaska from any claims to the contrary. Sealaska Corporation reserves the right to modify these Official Rules and Regulations at any time and without notice. Any modification to these Official Rules and Regulations will take effect immediately upon posting in the news area of our website. Sealaska employees, directors and their immediate families are ineligible. Void where prohibited by state or local regulations. Prizes will be distributed within one calendar year of August 14, 2020, or will be considered void. All winners must provide a completed IRS form W-9 before receiving cash awards. This contest is not affiliated with Instagram, Facebook or Twitter.