The Federal Subsistence Board will hold a work session on July 28-29, 2015 in Anchorage, AK. The agenda includes discussion and action on the Rural Determination Process.
Prior to the Federal Subsistence Board meeting was a House Subcommittee on Indian, Insular and Alaska Native Affairs (House Natural Resources) legislative hearing on H.R. 2388, held on July 22, 2015. H.R. 2388 would reverse the designation by the Secretary of the Interior and the Secretary of Agriculture of certain communities in the State of Alaska as nonrural. The honorable Lee Wallace, President of the Organized Village of Saxman testified on H.R. 2388. In 2007 the Organized Village of Saxman filed a lawsuit in federal court over the Federal Subsistence Board’s 2007 decision to designate the Tlingit Native village as non-rural. Read KRBD story, Saxman files lawsuit over non-rural status here.
- Tim Towarak, Chair - Unalakleet
- Anthony Christianson, Public Member - Hydaburg
- Charles Brower, Public Member - Barrow
- W. Bruce Loudermilk, Regional Director - Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Bud Cribley, State Director - Bureau of Land Management
- Herbert (Bert) Frost, Regional Director - National Park Service
- Geoff Haskett, Regional Director - U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Beth Pendleton, Regional Forester - U.S. Forest Service